The Building

Merchant Venturers Almshouses  is an historic Grade II* listed building. It was built around 1696 by the Society of Merchant Venturers for convalescent and old sailors to see out their days.

The almshouses were originally built around a quadrangle, however bombing during the Bristol Blitz of World War II and road realignment mean that it is now left with only three sides.